While some of our Alpha’s pledge classes may have just recently closed, we must continue to focus on engaging our members and look to scoop up high-quality men on our campuses. It’s during the recruitment season when each chapter on campus is looking for that special trick to recruitment. Unfortunately this post doesn’t have that secret special trick to give you the edge. However I am going to offer a tip to help your branding efforts. It’s called social media, maybe you’ve heard of it?
Check out your personal and Alpha’s Facebook Page or website to find your photos. Good memories, right? Well there might be the problem if we can’t convey those awesome memories to other people. Let’s put it this way: a picture speaks a thousand words…but only if we understand the language of our conversation.
A lot of times we take the classic picture of a few guys standing and smiling together during an event or service project. It’s a great picture because it brings back memories of that day. We reflect on what we were doing, the Brothers we were with, and the emotions that we felt. It’s like a visual bookmark in time. However, that’s not the same message that potential new members get when they see that same picture. They see three guys standing and smiling together and think, “These guys must like each other.”
So if the goal of our Facebook and website pictures is to show what our Brotherhood does then we need to show more ACTION. Don’t have static pictures of peoples just standing around for the camera. Show dynamic pictures that show action and emotion. Like I said, this is not a super recruitment secret just some feedback.
Tips to improve your website, blog, and Facebook pages:
- Remove all inappropriate Facebook pictures, statuses, and group memberships from your personal pages. Remember, as active alumni, undergraduate, and pledge class members, your actions and words away from the Lodge are just as important as those occurring at the Lodge.
- Take pictures at ALL Program for Excellence events. As mentioned, these need to be ACTION pictures. UPDATE weekly with new pictures!
- Player bio’s – Your stakeholders want to know who you are. Tell them! Where are you from? What are you studying? What positions have you held? Why did you join Chi Psi at your campus? If you were a kangaroo, what would you keep in your pouch? If you could meet any famous person in history, who would it be and why?
- Contact information of officers, Chi Psi Central Office and alumni advisors
- Communicate with other Alphas and Central Office staff members to share best practices and ask questions!
Hope you all have a fantastic week, and best of luck as you continue forward in your semester activities! Spring is right around the corner so keep plugging away.
Justin M. Zolot, Pi ’12
Senior Alpha Visitor
PS – If your Alpha doesn’t have a website, Facebook Page or twitter feed and would like to start one, contact the CO at firstname.lastname@example.org.