Creamy Cheesy Potatoes, 14 cool and unusual Aquariums, 16 Things you didn’t know about sleep, 10 Alarm Clocks that will get you out of Bed, Colorful water, Best balloon animal, Wrong number turns into thanksgiving gift, The best gelato in America, 25 Clever ideas to make life better, Light Recipe: Easy, Cheesy Broccoli Stuffed Chicken. Wondering where this is going???? It might make more sense to you if I told you the above list is a compilation of my recent StumbleUpon results. Now like most people when I want to get distracted from all of the important things in life (school, work, etc..) I point my browser to Facebook or StumbleUpon. StumbleUpon, a smart company, has capitalized on the inability of a growing number of people to focus on only one thing for more than 10 minutes. StumbleUpon has seen success partly due to the fact that many people have trouble staying focused on one thing at a time. In today’s over stimulated society we have trouble focusing on tasks that aren’t very stimulating. We are surrounded by HD TV, XBox, Angry Birds, Skype, music, txt messages, email, the internet, all of which we can do from our phones. How might this inability to focus for long periods of time affect the way our Alpha’s operate?? One might say that a lot of Alpha meetings reflect my recent “Stumble” from above. Meeting agendas seem to be a mixed bag of different agenda items that have little to no congruence. As the leaders of our Alphas it is up to you to provide direction. Equally, it will be tough for you to accomplish any of your goals if you are using your resources for tasks that don’t align with your goals; leaving your Alpha stumbling from one random task to another. Want this year to be a sprint, not a stumble? Here are a few things you can do to help provide you and your Alpha with some direction.
- Write Down Your Goals
- Get your goals down on paper. Share them with the Alpha. Let’s get everyone on the same page.
- Understand your Goals
- Analyze your goals.
- What resources will you need to accomplish these goals?
- How long will it take you to accomplish these goals?
- Who are the other stakeholders you might need to involve in the accomplishing of your goals?
- What will success look like?
- Develop tasks to accomplish each goal.
- Distribute tasks amongst your brothers. Use the S.M.A.R.T technique: Specific/Measurable/Attainable/Responsible person/Time to accomplish
- Go get ‘em!!
Start this year off right. Lay the foundation for a great year. Come out of the gate sprinting, not stumbling.