It’s that time of year: studying, studying, and more studying. Everyone is ready to be done with exams so they can head home and enjoy holidays. With all the stress its nice to kick back and take a break from studying. Here’s 7 ways to relax, enjoy yourself, and improve sorority relations this holiday season.
Everyone is going to be studying anyways so why not study together. Put out a few holiday snacks and some coffee and host study tables. Let the sororities know that you will be hosting study tables every night throughout exams. Don’t have a Lodge? Ask a sorority if they would host the study tables at their house, or look into reserving space in the campus library.
2) Serenade a Sorority – Practice a few holiday tunes and go sing to a sorority during their chapter meeting or sisterhood dinner. The ladies will love this. Serenading is also the perfect way to extend the invite to a sorority to come over for study tables or other holiday events (see below for more event ideas).
4) Send a sorority a poinsettia and a happy holidays card – Purchase a couple of poinsettias and holiday cards. Jot down a quick note “Happy Holidays from the Brothers of Chi Psi,” and deliver them to the sororities at their next chapter meeting.
5) Host a White Elephant Gift Exchange Mixer – Get the egg nog and the cider ready. Invite a sorority over and host a white elephant gift exchange. Set a $5 or $10 limit and have each person purchase a small gift and wrap it. Throw all the wrapped gifts in the middle. Have each person draw a number. Once an order has been established, each person takes his or her turn choosing a gift. The first person picks a gift, opens it, and shows it to the rest of the company. Then in turn, the participants choose to either unwrap a new gift or to “steal” a previously unwrapped gift. If a gift is “stolen”, the person who had their gift taken from them gets to unwrap any unopened gift; and then, the turn passes. When all the gifts have been opened, the game is over.
6) Tacky Christmas Dinner Exchange- Decorate the Lodge, and invite a sorority over for a holiday dinner. Have everyone bust out their tacky Christmas sweaters. Host a social hour. Serve egg nog, cider, and other holiday snacks. Following the social hour enjoy a holiday meal. Don’t have a Lodge or cook? Ask a sorority if they would be willing to host the dinner for you or find space on campus.
7) Give Back to the Community
This is my favorite one. Nothing is more rewarding or puts you in the holiday spirit like lending a helping hand in your community. Amidst the exams, the studying, the holiday parties, the shopping, the packing to head home, etc, we often forget about others. Invite a sorority to help your Alpha spread the holiday spirit and give back to your local community.
- Volunteer at a local soup kitchen or homeless shelter – Volunteer at a local soup kitchen or homeless shelter to help serve a holiday meal.
- Conduct a blanket and coat drive – The winter months are cold, and there are a lot of people out there that don’t have heat in their home or can’t afford a nice coat to stay warm. Conduct a blanket and coat drive on your campus and lend these people a helping hand.
- Volunteer at an assisted living, retirement home, or a children’s hospital – The patients in children’s hospitals and assisted living shelters may not get to spend time with their families during the holiday this year. Spreading the holiday spirit is easy. Volunteer to help decorate the home or hospital, help serve a Christmas meal, or just spend time with the patients. Ask a sorority to go caroling with you. Children and adults love to hear to you sing. Contact your local retirement home or children’s hospital to see how you can help.
- Conduct a canned food drive – There are a lot of families out there that are not fortunate enough to be able to enjoy a holiday meal this season.
- Toys for Tots– each year the U. S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots Program collects new, unwrapped toys during October, November and December each year, and distributes the toys as Christmas gifts to needy children in the community. Sponsor a Tots Drive on your campus.
- Participate in a Holiday 5k – There are plenty of holiday 5ks that sponsor charities. The proceeds from you registration fee go to support the local charity. Get your Brothers to sign up for a 5k.
- Salvation Army – Each year you see a group standing outside your local Walmart or shopping mall ringing bells and collecting spare change for the Salvation army. Your Alpha can sponsor a red kettle for the Salvation Army online. You could also raise money for the Salvation Army or another local charity by selling baked goods, hot chocolate, cider, and coffee outside your campus library.
- Operation Christmas Child – Each year Samaritan’s Purse collects shoe boxes filled with toys for boys and girls overseas. Do you have $15 and an empty shoe box? Well then it’s easy to put together a box. Go to the local dollar store or Walmart and spend $8 buying small gifts and toys for a certain age group. Stuff the shoe box with the gifts and include a $7 donation to help cover overseas shipping, and you’re done! Conduct an Operation Christmas Child drive on your campus. Team up with a sorority to make boxes or create a competition between campus clubs and organizations to see who can fill the most boxes on your campus!
So many Alphas ask how they can improve their relationships with sororities on campus. These are just a few ways to reach out and develop relationships with the women on your campus. Guess what? None of the above ideas involve alcohol. Get creative and find other ways to reach out to sororities throughout the year. If you ever need ideas contact your Alpha visitor and don’t forget that we have a sorority woman working for Chi Psi, Ms. Teri Forsythe. Teri has tons of great ideas on how to keep sorority women happy.
What other ways can your Alpha reach out to sororities and give back to the community this holiday season?